Journal of Miyara Kyosuke (71)
So now we have the sogin rokus, we must decide what
to do next? What do we do with the soking rokus? What do we
do with Pireseri's body -- take it to the druidess to see if she can
resurrect him (as Rabena says she might), or bury him with honor?
What do we do next?
Last time Pireseri died, Rabena says, it was in a
forest with the druidess there, and it only took hours to get to the
temple. I myself do not see the point. He had powers, but
he is not a noble and he is a barbarian, and it does not seem worth
it. I certainly do not wish to travel with a rotting body for a
week. Rabena cannot do much to preserve the body and still travel.
I think we should go to Kurutsofen, but Miyara
points out that winter is coming and we would have to cross the
mountains. It is currently unseasonably warm, but Rabena says
that it will turn viciously cold tomorrow. Anyway, we must get
out of the mountains soon.
It is three or four days from here to Kurutsofen in
good weather, but we could be right in the middle of the pass when
winter strikes. To the druidess, however, we could get through
the worst of the mountain travel quite quickly and it would be safer.
We set off towards the druidess. By nightfall
we are still in the mountains, and I say we should continue. I of
course can see, and Hosei has light pebbles for the rest. I will
travel a little way in advance to warn of any difficult
conditions. We press on. The night is dark and overcast.
As soon as it is dark, and the pebbles brought out
and torches are lit, we begin to attract wolves. They don't
attack, but we can hear, smell, and occasionally see them tracking
along with us. I move back to the vicinity of the party so that
the wolves do not try to pick me off.
About two hours after dark, the weaker of the party
start stumbling and walking more slowly. When Rabena says that
the snowstorm coming will be major, I suggest we shelter at the dwarven
place with the waterfalls. I am insistent that we must press
on. We do so, but carefully so that Rabena will not miss the
place where we must turn from the road.
Several of us notice the right place to cut off the
road. Here we come off the road and go up a steep mountainside
trail. Sun and Carimera are struggling, but we help them
along. The wolves are still sniffing around, and Hosei says there
are other things out there too, but they are not showing themselves or
showing any sign of attacking.
We follow the stream up the side of the mountain,
and to get up we need to climb up the side of a cliff to drop down a
rope for the others. I volunteer to do so, and we haul people
up. We pull the rope up after us.
The wolves and whatever else have disappeared.
The place is uninhabited. Some of us search
the whole place while others make a fire. We set guards, but
there is no threat.
The sun rises and the snow is falling quickly.
Rabena says it will continue for at least a day.
We need to rest and forage for food. Moving on
now would be very bad. Between us, we put together enough food
for the day.
If weather was good, we could get out of the
mountains by the end of a day before night. With weather issues,
it is not clear how long it would take. I suggest we stay until
Rabena says the weather would be good, and at least until we are all
The day and night pass uneventfully. Rabena
says it will keep snowing for at least a week. If we do not try
to get out now, we will be stuck here for that long at least.
I am in favor of staying here, wintering here if
necessary. We will have to work hard to find food now to stock
up, which would have to be our only priority. Warmth and water
will not be a problem.
Miyara agrees that disappearing from the world for a
while with the four rocks might be a good idea.
We all work hard to gather food and wood and stock
up the place for an extended stay.
We also work on repairing the bridge (Ashu) and the
Foraging gets harder as the snow gets heavier, but
we continue to bring in supplies, staying slightly ahead as the days