Adabicci / Lunion / Spinward Marches
Duke Intervenes in Ianic ConflictThe Duke of Adabicci has taken immediate steps to resolve the trade war in Ianic (1924 Spinward Marches; E3606E9-5), calling the actions of Tukera Lines, LIC "deplorable" and "without basis in law."
A week ago, a Tukera Lines cruiser attacked three System Defense Boats in the Ianic
system while attempting to board a free trader they accused of carrying
Ianician manufactured trade goods. Tukera claims they have an agreement
granting them a trade monopoly with the troubled system, while the interim
government of Ianic states that while negotiations to that effect have taken place, no such agreement has been signed.
Less than an hour after the news of the battle had arrived here on Adabicci
(1824 Spinward Marches; A57189B-B), the Duke himself held a press conference
at his palace at which he told reporters that he had taken "immediate and
direct action to end this ... threat to interstellar trade." The major
legal points addressed by the Duke were:
The Duke then described actions he had taken to address the issue:
- While a trade monopoly is certainly permitted by Imperial law, he has
determined that in this case no such binding agreement had been executed.
The negotiations that had taken place between the government of Ianic and Tukera Lines, LIC did not constitute a legally binding contract.
- In enforcing this nonexistent monopoly, an agent of Tukera Lines, LIC had engaged in an act of piracy in the Ianic system on behalf of the corporation.
- This action adversely affects interstellar trade and thus comes under direct ducal authority as a representative of the Emperor.
Clearly this is a major blow to Tukera Lines, both financially and in terms
of influence over interstellar trade in the area. The freewheeling
business methods that have made the megacorporation such a success will have
to be curtailed in coreward Lunion, and this will also no doubt affect future
profits. It will also open the door for other shipping companies and
free traders to do business with the newly restructured society of Ianic.
- Tukera Lines, LIC is to pay immediate reparations to Ianic
for the damaged naval assets and loss of life, totalling 1200 MCr. They
are also to pay an additional 3800 MCr in punitive damages.
- Requested that the Archduke appoint a Marquis of Ianic, as the interests of the Imperial Citizens of that system would be best served by direct Imperial oversight.
- Set up a ducal commission to resolve the matters of trade and other immediate concerns of Ianic. This commission would
report directly to the Duke, and would have the power to make binding decisions
concerning the future of Ianic until such time as a Marquis can be appointed.
It is also a strong statement that the Duke will not allow the recent instability on the Ianic mainworld to be used as an excuse to restrict interstellar trade. With
the request for a Marquis to be appointed to the system, the Duke is also
sending a message that he considers the system of importance, which should
encourage investors and boost the economy of the desert world.